Monday, May 28, 2012

Justice, and Mercy!

Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt. (Matthew 18:21-27)

Forgiveness comes at a cost, to the person who does the forgiving.  As Christ explains, the servant owed the king in todays equivalent approximately ten million dollars.  How did the servant accumulate such a massive amount of debts is not the issue; the issue is the servant had absolutely no way to pay what he owed.  The king had the right to require the servant either pay him back or lose everything he had, including his freedom.  How many of us could lend out $1,000.00 and not expect to get paid back.  But because the servant sincerely asked to be forgiven of the debt he owed and had absolutely no way to pay it back, the king showed him mercy and forgave him. 

The following two examples show how merciful God is towards us, even when we deserve judgement, even death.  God will forgive us and give us another chance, if we will repent, turn away from living any kind of way we want and live to please Him (II Peter 3:9): Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah ... (Genesis 6:5-8)

Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the Lord. And Abraham came near and said, “Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there were fifty righteous within the city; would You also destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous that were in it? ...So the Lord said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.” Then Abraham answered and said, “Indeed now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord: Suppose there were five less than the fifty righteous; would You destroy all of the city for lack of five?” So He said, “If I find there forty-five, I will not destroy it.” And he spoke to Him yet again and said, “Suppose there should be forty found there?” So He said, “I will not do it for the sake of forty.” Then he said, “Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Suppose thirty should be found there?” So He said, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.” And he said, “Indeed now, I have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord: Suppose twenty should be found there?”  So He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of twenty.” Then he said, “Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak but once more: Suppose ten should be found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of ten.” So the Lord went His way as soon as He had finished speaking with Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place. (Genesis 18:22-33) How sad, the Lord couldn't even find one person righteous, to spare the city!

Consider listening to Pastor Erwin Lutzer series "You Can't Redo Life" - lesson 3 of 10, Getting Forgiveness Right: http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/running-to-win/

No comments:

Post a Comment