Thursday, May 17, 2012

Grace and Mercy = Love!

So David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. However, because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also who is born to you shall surely die.” (II Samuel 12:13-14)

Grace is when God does something for us we don't deserve; mercy is when God doesn't do to us what we do deserve.  David, a man after [God's] own heart (I Samuel 13:14; Acts 13:22), committed adultery and murder.  But when he confessed his sins to God, eventhough the consequences of the sin would not be removed (the death of the child conceived), the forgiveness was freely given, and his relationship with God was restored.  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9) 

A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba: Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight— That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge. (Psalm 51:1-4)  God's love is perfect, and does not want to deal with us in the way we deserve; And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.” (I Peter 4:8)

Consider listening to Pastor Leo Giovinetti teaching on Galatians: http://www.realliferadio.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment