Monday, July 23, 2012

To Do, or Not To Do!

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.  For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.  If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.  But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.  For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.  Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.  For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:14-25)

All of us can relate to what the Apostle Paul says in the above scripture.  When we become Christians, we have a new desire to please God, but we're still dealing with the desires of our flesh that want to commit sin.  We could even state the above a little differently:  We don't want to do what we should do, and we want to do the things we shouldn't do!  As we mature in Christ, then we start thinking more clearly: We want to do what we should do but we don't, and we don't want to do the things we shouldn't do but we still do them!  Sounds similar but there is a difference.  Before we became Christians, our desire was to please ourselves, but after we became Christians, our desire is to please God: Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,  and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, ..., but Christ is all and in all. (Colossians 3:5-11)

When we become Christians we have the desire to obey God, but we are unable to on our own.  God is so merciful - He would never ask us to do anything without equipping us with the power to do it.  That's why He has filled us with His Holy Spirit: “If you love Me, keep My commandments.  And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. ... But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (John 14:15-17, 26)

Through our faith in Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, we all have the desire, will, ability and power to do what pleases God: There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,  that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. ... But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.  And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.  But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. (Romans 8:1-11)  Let's thank God for not requiring more from us than we could do, but giving us all we need through Christ and the Holy Spirit to do as we should!

No comments:

Post a Comment