Wednesday, July 9, 2014

II TIMOTHY:Enduring to the End; "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith!"

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. (II Timothy 4:6-8) 

How many of us are "sure that we're sure", that when this life is over, we know we will be with Christ Jesus in heaven, until He sets up His kingdom in ...a new heaven and a new earth. (Revelations 21:1) Paul was sure, and we can be also. Paul used some very interesting phrases in this conclusion of his second letter to Timothy.

The drink offering was first done by Jacob (aka Israel) when God confirmed His promise to him and blessed him. Also God said to him: “I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall proceed from you, and kings shall come from your body. The land which I gave Abraham and Isaac I give to you; and to your descendants after you I give this land.” Then God went up from him in the place where He talked with him. So Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with him, a pillar of stone; and he poured a drink offering on it, and he poured oil on it. And Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Bethel. (Genesis 35:11-15)

Drink offerings were a form of anointing, to pour, smear or rub oil onto someone or something, as a symbol of consecrating or making sacred, or being chosen to do a specific thing.  Just as the drink offering symbolized Israel being anointed by God to establish a national of people, a holy people to the Lord your God;... (Deuteronomy 7:6) Paul was saying that the same was true about him, that he was anointed by Christ to do all that he had done.
The Lord said to him [Ananias], “Go, for he [Paul] is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” (Acts 9:15-16)

Christ anointed Paul to teach the gospel to all people, and to suffer because of it. Most of us are willing to do the teaching, as long as we can eliminate the suffering. Fortunately for most us, suffering isn't like it used to be when the church first began, but recently, it's becoming more evident that difficult days are ahead for the church. Through the power of God's Holy Spirit in us, we have to be even more ...steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. (I Corinthians 15:58)

When we know that our labor is not in vain in the Lord, then we can fight the good fight, finish the race, and keep the faith, just like Paul did.  Paul described this fight, race and faith to the church in Ephesus: And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:22-24)

It's not easy to commit our lives testifying to the gospel of the grace of God, knowing that we will have to deny ourself, and take up our cross daily, and follow Christ. (Luke 9:23; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34) But we have to remember, we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (II Corinthians 4:18) We, like Paul, also want our crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Jesus promised to the faithful church in Philadelphia, and the same promise is for all of us, “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. ... Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more." (Revelations 3:8-12)

Paul went on to explain how some continued in the faith, while others turned away. Be diligent to come to me quickly; for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica—Crescens for Galatia, Titus for Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry. And Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. Bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas when you come—and the books, especially the parchments. Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works. You also must beware of him, for he has greatly resisted our words. (II Timothy 4:9-15) 

At my first defense no one stood with me, but all forsook me. May it not be charged against them. But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen! (II Timothy 4:16-18) 

Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. Erastus stayed in Corinth, but Trophimus I have left in Miletus sick. Do your utmost to come before winter. Eubulus greets you, as well as Pudens, Linus, Claudia, and all the brethren. The Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Grace be with you. Amen. (II Timothy 4:19-22)

For those who forsake the gospel because of their love for this present world, the Lord will repay them according to their works. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. (Hebrews 6:4-6)

But to the rest of us, like Paul and Timothy, Jesus promised, "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:13-14) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment