Wednesday, July 2, 2014

II TIMOTHY: Bold Witness for Christ, Inspite of Hardship, "even to the point of chains; but the word of God is not chained!"

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. The hardworking farmer must be first to partake of the crops. Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things. (II Timothy 2:3-7)

Paul continued to give Timothy practical and sound advice on how to conduct himself as he carried out the duties of his ministry.  When we commit our lives to God through faith in Christ Jesus, God must come first; “You shall have no other gods before Me." (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7) That's the mentality of an enlisted soldier.  The Army's Soldier Creed states, "I am an American Soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values. I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. etc." Commitment to God requires that same mentality.

Although mentioned briefly, athletes and farmers have that same level of commitment. Paul explained the commitment of the athlete this way to the church in Corinth: Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (I Corinthians 9:24-27)

And throughout scripture we have example after example of the hardworking farmer, and how because of his commitment and endurance, he has earned the right to be first to partake of the crops. Paul explained this to the church in Corinth also: For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? (I Corinthians 9:9-12)

Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead according to my gospel [given to him by Christ, Acts 9:1-22], for which I suffer trouble as an evildoer, even to the point of chains; but the word of God is not chained. Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. (II Timothy 2:8-10) 

Our goal in enduring hardship should not be to receive pity from others, to have others take care of us, or to just make sure we have our needs taken care of before others. Our goal should be to spread the gospel of Christ Jesus, that others also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. People often say, "If I just make it in, I'll be satisfied."  Our goal should not be to just make it in, but to help lead others in also.

Jesus commanded us, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20) “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:19-20) “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." (Luke 24:46-47)

Paul knew that although he had to endure hardship, even to the point of chains; but the word of God is not chained. God said, "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11) Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away." (Matthew 24:35) "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life." (John 6:63)

The Word of God can not be chained, even if we are, because it is spirit and life. Therefore, we should pray just as Paul did, Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. (Colossians 4:2-4) praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:18-20)

Let's commit ourselves to being bold witnesses for Christ, regardless of the temporary earthly hardships and eternal rewards, but because so many people are loss and suffering and looking for something to fill the void in their lives. They need to hear the mystery of the gospel, For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:16-17) ...not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles. (Romans 9:24) Through His death, we have access to new life, and everyone needs to heart that message!

This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself. (II Timothy 2:11-13)  We who are Christians have died with Him, because ...our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:7-11) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment