Tuesday, July 1, 2014

II TIMOTHY: Suffering for the Gospel's Sake; "nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day!"

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, a beloved son:
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. (II Timothy 1:1-2)

Paul wrote this letter to Timothy from his second imprisonment in Rome.  He knew that this time he would not leave prison alive, which we will be able to confirm by the tone of this letter as we continue studying it. This letter is more personal, like a father to a son. Paul wrote this letter to encourage Timothy to continue faithfully in the ministry of Christ Jesus, regardless of the persecution and turmoil in dealing with false teachers within his congregation. *Strong's Key Word Study Bible

I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (II Timothy 1:3-7)

We studied in a previous lesson the importance of ...bring them [children] up in the training and admonition of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4) Paul acknowledges that that's what Timothy's grandmother and mother did with him.  Therefore, by the time Paul met him, the "soil" of his heart was ready to receive the "seed" of the gospel; and it fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. (Matthew 13:8; Mark 4:8)

Paul reminded Timothy to stir up the gift of God which is in, that gift being the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38) Regardless of what persecutions or trials we deal with, we who are Christians are filled with God's Holy Spirit, ...He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (I John 4:4) Paul continued, Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God,... (II Timothy 1:8)

...God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. (II Timothy 1:9-12)

Before time began, God's plan of salvation was established in Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith— to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen. (Romans 16:25-27) Remember, Paul was in prison and was going to be killed because the Jews charged, "This is the man who teaches all men everywhere against the people, the law, and this place; and furthermore he also brought Greeks into the temple and has defiled this holy place.” (Acts 21:28)

The Jews thought that they were God's only chosen people, and that salvation was just for them.  But Christ Jesus commanded Paul to teach the Truth, Is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also, since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith. (Romans 3:29-30) Paul knew that the gospel message of Christ Jesus would cause him to be persecuted, so he often asked the church to pray for him, ...that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:19-20)

God, Your word is truth! (John 17:17) And speaking the Truth isn't always easy, nor is it always well received, But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts. (I Thessalonians 2:4) Therefore, Paul went on to say to Timothy, Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. (II Timothy 1:13-14)

Even though we are to stay committed, many will turn away.  This you know, that all those in Asia have turned away from me, among whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes. (II Timothy 1:15) Some people are like the ...seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. (Matthew 13:22; Mark 4:7) They appear to be committed until the persecution comes, and then they turn away.  

When Jesus explained to multitude of disciples who were following him early in His ministry who He was and why He came, many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?” ... From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”(John 6:60, 66-67) Even though many will turn away, there will always be some who will stay faithful.  Therefore, we should never give up, because God has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus.

Paul told Timothy, yes those in Asia have turned away, but... The Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain; but when he arrived in Rome, he sought me out very zealously and found me. The Lord grant to him that he may find mercy from the Lord in that Day—and you know very well how many ways he ministered to me at Ephesus. (II Timothy 1:16-18) You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. (II Timothy 2:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment