Tuesday, July 8, 2014

II TIMOTHY: Share the Word of God with All People, for "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable!"

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (II Timothy 3:16-17) 

In Paul's conclusion to his second letter to Timothy, he made it very clear that All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.  Not some, not most, but ALL scripture!  God wrote the 66 books of the Bible, by the hand of 40 different men over a period of nearly 1600 years, covering a span of nearly 4000 years of history. We have to believe this Truth before we can go any further.  No need to study something we don't believe.

The old testament prophets and the new testament apostles wrote what God told them to write. For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” [Matthew 3:16-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21-22] And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. [Matthew 17:1-9; Mark 9:2-10; Luke 9:28-36] (II Peter 1:16-18) 

And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. (II Peter 1:19-21)

If we believe that all scripture is written by God, then we have to apply it to our lives, because it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. (II Timothy 4:1-2)

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. (II Timothy 4:3-5) 

No matter how bad things may seem and people seem to be turning away from the Truth, we who are Christians, who have accepted God's free gift of salvation through faith in Christ Jesus, can not compromise or tolerate fables.  We have to Preach the word! ALL of it, because All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, the parts people want to hear, but also the parts people don't want to hear but need to hear.

We must be resolved, just like Paul, and just like God told the prophet Ezekiel, "You shall speak My words to them, whether they hear or whether they refuse,... (Ezekiel 2:7) ...and speak to them and tell them, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ whether they hear, or whether they refuse.” (Ezekiel 3:11) "But when I speak with you, I will open your mouth, and you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God.’ He who hears, let him hear; and he who refuses, let him refuse;..." (Ezekiel 3:27)

Why is it so important for us to believe ALL the scriptures, and then to preach the Word of God?  The same reason Moses gave the children of Israel, "...all the words of this law. For it is not a futile thing for you, because it is your life, and by this word you shall prolong your days..." (Deuteronomy 32:46-47) “See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the Lord your God will bless... (Deuteronomy 30:15-16) 

"But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong your days... I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days;..." (Deuteronomy 30:17-20)

God's Word gives life!  We have to good news, the greatest news ever told!  We who are Christians should be compelled to share it with everyone we come in contact with, because we are in the midst of a dying world that is desperately seeking for something to fulfill the void in their lives.  We know how that feels, because that's how we were before we had a relationship with God through faith in Christ Jesus. 

God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (I Timothy 2:3-4) Therefore, we have to share the Word of God with all people. "My son, do not forget my law,But let your heart keep my commands; For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you." (Proverbs 3:1-2) "My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh." (Proverbs 4:20-22)

Not only does God's Word give us eternal life, but it also gives us instruction on how to successfully live this life.  For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. (Romans 15:4) Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts. I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your word. I have not departed from Your judgments, for You Yourself have taught me. How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. (Psalm 119:97-104)

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them Your servant is warned, and in keeping them there is great reward. (Psalm 19:7-11) AMEN!

1 comment: