Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I TIMOTHY: The Purpose of Our Salvation; "He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent; but I obtained mercy!"

And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. (I Timothy 1:12-14) 

God can change and use anyone to spread the gospel, if it's His Will!  Paul was proof of that.  During one of Paul's many trials, he gave his testimony before King Agrippa: “My manner of life from my youth, which was spent from the beginning among my own nation at Jerusalem, all the Jews know. They knew me from the first, if they were willing to testify, that according to the strictest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made by God to our fathers. To this promise our twelve tribes, earnestly serving God night and day, hope to attain. For this hope’s sake, King Agrippa, I am accused by the Jews. Why should it be thought incredible by you that God raises the dead? (Acts 26:4-8)

“Indeed, I myself thought I must do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. This I also did in Jerusalem, and many of the saints I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. And I punished them often in every synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly enraged against them, I persecuted them even to foreign cities. (Acts 26:9-11)  That was Paul, before becoming a Christian, but still believing He was doing God's Will.  Christ Jesus counted him faithful, putting him into the ministry. Really? Yes!

How is it possible to obtain mercy from God, after putting innocent people in prison, casting vote against them when they were put to death, compelling them to blaspheme, and persecuting them even to foreign cities? Because God knew that he did it ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant! Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,... (I Peter 1:3) In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence... (Ephesians 1:7-8) 

We have to understand the grace and mercy of God.  People may say they forgive us when we do something to offend them, and we may say we forgive others; but more than likely, we always hold something in our hearts and minds against them, even if we try not to act upon it.  But when God extends His grace, when he does for us what we don't deserve, and when He extends His mercy, when he gives us what we don't deserve, He's sincere!  This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. Now to the King [Christ Jesus] eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (I Timothy 1:15-17)

Paul would explain it this way to the church in Corinth: And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (II Corinthians 3:4-6)  The grace of God is Christ Jesus dying for our sins, and the mercy of God is filling us with His Holy Spirit!  Jesus told Nicodemus, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’" ( John 3:6-7)

Paul nor any of us can change on our own, no matter how much we may desire to do so.  The only way we can be changed and used by God is through His Holy Spirit.  Jesus said, “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. And you also will bear witness,..." (John 15:26-27)  When Christ Jesus saved Paul, He didn't just save him so he would stop persecuting the church.  

Paul concluded his testimony to King Agrippa, “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. .. Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.” (Acts 26:19-23)

God didn't just save us so that we would stop doing wrong; but He saved us so that we will bear witness!  "Each one, teach one!"  And the cycle continues, for The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (II Peter 3:9) He uses us to lead others to Christ. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. (II Corinthians 2:15-16)

This was true of Paul's life, and true of Timothy's life, and should be true of our lives also.  This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme. (I Timothy 1:18-20)  We are to be a bold witness for Christ Jesus.  Not all will believe, but some will.  

For those who choose not to believe, we are to delivered them to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme, or in other words, let God deal with them; deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. (I Corinthians 5:5) And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh. (Jude 1:22-23) For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. (II Corinthians 7:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment