Friday, April 11, 2014

PHILIPPIANS: The Lessons to Learn are, "so stand fast in the Lord, beloved. Rejoice in the Lord always. Be anxious for nothing, and the God of peace will be with you!"

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. (Philippians 4:4-5)

This final chapter of Philippians is full of so much encouragement to us who are Christians:

First we are encouraged to pray to God and then have peace about our situation; Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7); Commit your works to the Lord, And your thoughts will be established. (Proverbs 16:3) Many of us are "anxious" about many things, especially with all the different issues going on in the world today.  But Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8), and if we truly believe Him to be our Savior and Lord, then we should Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

We are encouraged to stay positive regarding the things we think and focus on; Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8-9); Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. (Proverbs 18:21) Positive thoughts lead to positive speech, which lead to positive attitudes and behaviors, which lead to peace and contentment. 

Often times we get discouraged when we feel God isn't answering our prayers the way we want or as soon as we want.  God knows better than we do what we need and when we need it.  Not every want will be given, but every need will be provided, as Jesus taught, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? Now if God [provides for things that don't last]..., which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ .... For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:25-34; Luke 12:22-34)

If we can have that mind through our faith in Christ to not worry or be anxious about our lives, then we will be able to profess as Paul did, Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13) Whatever our situation or condition is, we have to know that the good times nor the bad times will last for ever; To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven: A time to gain, And a time to lose;  (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 6; Ecclesiastes 3:1-8);  Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. [Deuteronomy 31:6]” (Hebrews 13:5); Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread. (Psalms 37:25)

Even though we should learn in whatever state we are, to be content, we should, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Galatians 6:10) Paul commended the church in Philippi for doing just that; But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. (Philippians 4:10, 14-16)

We're encouraged to help others as much as God enable us, so that God can keep trusting to provide us with more; Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account.  Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God.  And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:17-19) There's an old spiritual with a verse that states, "The more you give, the more He'll give to you. So keep on giving, because it's really true, that you can't beat God's giving, no matter how you try."  No matter what's going on, never stop giving your tithes and offerings and doing charity towards others; “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! (Malachi 3:8, 10*)

Finally as Paul does in most of his letters, he salutes and acknowledges those who have been a source of help and encouragement to him; Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved. I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, but especially those who are of Caesar’s household. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. (Philippians 4:1-3, 20-23)

Next, Paul would write his letter to the church in Colossi...

*New Living Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment