Friday, April 25, 2014

PHILEMON: Forgive Those Who Wrong You; "Though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, yet for love’s sake I rather appeal to you!"

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, 
To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are in Colosse: ... Tychicus, a beloved brother, faithful minister, and fellow servant in the Lord, will tell you all the news about me. I am sending him to you for this very purpose, that he may know your circumstances and comfort your hearts, with Onesimus, a faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They will make known to you all things which are happening here. (Colossians 1:1-2, 4:7-9)

Paul was still writing letters to various churches he had helped to start and organize, and he wrote these letters while a prisoner of Jesus Christ, in chains in prison in Rome.  Even while living under such circumstances, his love and care for the churches did not end; "because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace." (Philippians 1:7)

Often, he would conclude his letters with an introduction of the persons who were delivering the letter, to let the recipients know of their faith in Christ Jesus and their care for him.  Now we can call ahead or send an electronic message to make introductions before someone arrives; but back then, the letter carriers of the apostles letters oftentimes was also the one also being sent to help or minister.

This letter however was not an introduction but a request of reconciliation between a runaway slave and his master. We were first introduced to Onesimus in the letter to the church in Colosse.  Paul described him as a faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you.  So, he's from the Colossee area, which means he's of the uncircumcision, a non-Jew; but he became a convert to Christianity, and has been a faithful laborer with and to Paul.  But how did he happen to leave his master, Philemon and end up with Paul?

Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,
To Philemon our beloved friend and fellow laborer, to the beloved Apphia, Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Philemon 1:1-3)  Eventhough Philemon is a slave master, he is also a convert to Christianity and has a church in his house. That was very helpful! 

I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers, hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. For we have great joy and consolation in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother. (Philemon 1:4-7) Paul reiterated to Philemon that his reputation, what people believed about him, and his character, who he really was, both proved that he indeed was a Christian, having  love and faith toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints.  That also was very helpful!

Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, yet for love’s sake I rather appeal to you—being such a one as Paul, the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ— I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me. (Philemon 1:8-11)

I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart, whom I wished to keep with me, that on your behalf he might minister to me in my chains for the gospel. But without your consent I wanted to do nothing, that your good deed might not be by compulsion, as it were, but voluntary. For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave—a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. (Philemon 1:12-16)

If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord. Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. (Philemon 1:17-21)

Based on this short letter, we learn some very powerful lessons.  We must understand that Onesimus was Philemon's slave, and apparently Onesimus must have stolen something from Philemon for Paul to write, But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay. The first step in reconciliation is to ask for forgiveness and offer to make restitution. Remember when Jesus taught, "Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against youleave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift." (Matthew 5:23-24)  Well, before Onesium could go from Paul and do anything for Christ, he had to return to Philemon and make things right.  Fortunately for him, Paul was his advocate. 

Secondly, knowing that Onesimus was a runaway slave, a fugitive, Paul being a Jew followed the Mosaic law regarding dealing with fugitives. “You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him." (Deuteronomy 23:15-16) What a gracious law! For whatever reason the slave has escaped from his master , whether he did wrong or not, the person who he goes to is not to send the slave back, at least not right away. This allows time for both parties to calm down and figure out an amicable solution to the issue, instead of dealing with the problems in the heat of the moment or in anger.

This time allowed Paul to minister, witness to and train Onesimus, whom he had begotten while in chains.  Now, Onesimus was not just Philemon's slave, but a beloved brother, both in the flesh and in the Lord.  If Philemon was truly a Christian and had love and faith toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, then the third lesson we have to learn is the same one Philemon was going to have to demonstrate, forgiveness!  Paul convicted him of this by writing, If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. —not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. 

Jesus taught, "Forgive, and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37) "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” (Luke 17:3-4) “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:14-15; Mark 11:25-26)

Jesus also taught the disciples, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35) We may be believers, but Philemon nor any of us can truly be Christians, a disciple of Christ, unless we forgive one another, because God makes it very clear, if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  We can't be saved if we're not forgiven, and we can't be forgiven if we don't forgive! Onesimus was Philemon's brother in Christ now, so if Onesimus came to him repentant and asking for forgiveness, it was Philemon's duty in Christ to reconcile with him and that relationship be restored.

We may say, well that's good for those who ask for forgiveness, but what if someone has done us wrong and don't ask for forgiveness or try to make restitution? Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” [Deuteronoy 32:35] says the Lord. Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” [Proverbs 25:21-22] Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:17-21)

Paul concluded as he did with most of his letters, hopefully that he would be released from prison and able to visit the churches again, and with greetigs to the church and from those with him. But, meanwhile, also prepare a guest room for me, for I trust that through your prayers I shall be granted to you. Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow laborers. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. (Philemon 1:22-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment