Monday, July 8, 2013

THE GOSPEL: The LORD and The Lord!

While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, saying, “What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” They said to Him, “The Son of David.” (Matthew 22:41-42)

The religious leaders still believed, even though there had been more than enough evidence to the contrary, that Jesus was just a man, ... the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him. (Mark 6:3; Matthew 13:55; see Genealogy of Jesus, The ChristThey believed He was a Jew, a descendant of David, and possibly even the "Prophet" that God prophesied through Moses that He would send: “The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, according to all you desired of the Lord your God... 'I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him.' (Genesis 18:15, 18-19)

But Jesus was not just a man, He is The Christ, the Son of God! Then Jesus answered and said, while He taught in the temple, “How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the Son of David? (Mark 11:35; Luke 20:41) He said to them, “How then does David in the Spirit [*in the Book of Psalms] call Him ‘Lord,’ saying: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool”’? [Psalms 110:1] (Matthew 22:43-44; Mark 12:36; *Luke 20:42-43) "The Lord" refers to God the Father, and "my Lord" refers to Lord God the Son.  The KJV and NKJV Bible translations use the different font sizes to differentiate the two.  So in other words, we can translate what David said in Psalms, "God the Father said to Lord God the Son,  “Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool."

If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?” And no one was able to answer Him a word, nor from that day on did anyone dare question Him anymore. (Matthew 22:45-46; Mark 12:37; Luke 20:44) When David died, his fate was just like everyone before him.  He either ...died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; (Luke 16:22) or ...being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off... (Luke 16:23)  But Christ Jesus, ...this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of Godfrom that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. (Hebrews 10:12-13) 

No, Christ Jesus is not just a man, but as God the Father spoke from heaven, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” (Matthew 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 9:35)  For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (II Peter 1:17)  And the common people heard Him gladly. (Mark 12:37)  Let's not be like the Pharisees and scribes, nor like the wise in this age.  But let's be like the common people, who Hear Him, gladly!

No comments:

Post a Comment