Friday, July 26, 2013

THE GOSPEL: Don't Say What You Won't Do; Pray for Strength!

Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: ‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered.’ [Zechariah 13:7“But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.” Peter said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble, yet I will not be.” Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that today, even this night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times.” But he spoke more vehemently, “If I have to die with You, I will not deny You!” And they all said likewise. (Mark 14:27-31; Matthew 26:31-35)

Jesus informs the eleven remaining disciples that without Him, they and none of us are as strong as we would like to think we are.  We all have good intentions and believe that there are certain things we won't do, but we don't know for sure until we are confronted with having to make a choice.  Jesus forewarns Peter, since he spoke out with such certainty, that he would actually deny Christ that very evening, and not just hide like the rest of them.  But He reassured Peter immediately; And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” But he said to Him, “Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death.” Then He said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me.”  (Luke 22:31-34)

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” [Luke 9:1-6Matthew 10:5-15Mark 6:7-12So they said, “Nothing.” Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ [Isaiah 53:12] For the things concerning Me have an end.” So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.” (Luke 22:35-38)

Yet again, Jesus was preparing the disciples and us who now believe that without Him physically here, things were going to get worse for  us and we need to be prepared.  Therefore, since Christ suffered for us  in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,... (I Peter 4:1) ...to establish you and encourage you concerning your faith, that no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this. (I Thessalonians 3:2-3)

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousnessand having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peaceabove all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked oneAnd take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of Godpraying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints... (Ephesians 6:14-18) Basically, this is what Jesus was telling the disciples and us, how we are to be prepared; Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil(Ephesians 6:11)

So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ [John 8:13-28] so now I say to you. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:31-35) 

Jesus states that because of what would happen to Him in Jerusalem, being crucified, He would be glorified, God would be glorified and the disciples are to bring glory to Him after His resurrection.  Glorify means to reveal or make clear the glory of God by one's actions, to give praise to God.  There would be no doubt in anyone's mind after His crucifixion that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, just as He and God had clearly said.  For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (II Peter 1:17)  But because of the disciples love for one another, all will know that they were My [Christ's] disciples.  All the books of the New Testament are the fulfillment of that prophecy and bring glory to Christ.

Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow Me now, but you shall follow Me afterward.” Peter said to Him, “Lord, why can I not follow You now? I will lay down my life for Your sake.” Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for My sake? Most assuredly, I say to you, the rooster shall not crow till you have denied Me three times. (John 13:36-38)  Peter kept trying, but as we will study very soon, he proved Christ to be True.  However, he and all of us can rest in the assurance that no matter how bad we may fail Him or ourselves, Christ is praying for us, just like He prayed for Peter; "But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”  Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:25) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment