Thursday, August 2, 2012

JOEL: The Day of The Lord, The Lord of Life - 1 of 2!

Alas for the day! For the day of the Lord is at hand;
It shall come as destruction from the Almighty. (Joel 1:15)


Biblical Truth
The prophet Joel prophesied during the reign of Joash, king of Judah. (II King 13, 14; I Chronicles 24, 25)  As during most of Isreal's existence as a nation, they are surrounded by enemies who desire to destroy them.  There are several main points God teaches His people, and us today:

- the lands, especially Isreal, will suffer devistation at the hand of a great nation that will rise on the earth: For a nation has come up against My land, Strong, and without number; His teeth are the teeth of a lion, And he has the fangs of a fierce lion [I Peter 5:8]. He has laid waste My vine, And ruined My fig tree; He has stripped it bare and thrown it away; Its branches are made white. (Joel 1:6-7; Joel 1:1-14; Revelations 13)

- the Lord (whom we now know is Jesus Christ) will have mercy on His people when they cry out to Him, and provide them with what they need to survive this desparate time: “Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God, For He is gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, and of great kindness; And He relents from doing harm. Then the Lord will be zealous for His land. And pity His people. The Lord will answer and say to His people. “Behold, I will send you grain and new wine and oil, And you will be satisfied by them; I will no longer make you a reproach among the nations. (Joel 2:12-13, 18-19; Joel 1:15-2:26)

- the Lord will restore Isreal and deal with their adversaries: Then you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel: I am the Lord your God And there is no other. My people shall never be put to shame. And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the Lord Shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, As the Lord has said, Among the remnant whom the Lord calls. (Joel 2:27, 32; Joel 2:27-32; Revelations 14)

- the Lord will judge all nations and people: I will also gather all nations, And bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat; And I will enter into judgment with them there On account of My people, My heritage Israel, Whom they have scattered among the nations; They have also divided up My land. (Joel 3:2) Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision. (Joel 3:14) (Joel 3:1-15; Revelations 14-18)

- the Lord will establish His eternal kingdom on the earth: The Lord also will roar from Zion, And utter His voice from Jerusalem; The heavens and earth will shake; But the Lord will be a shelter for His people, And the strength of the children of Israel. “So you shall know that I am the Lord your God, Dwelling in Zion My holy mountain. (Joel 3:16-17; Joel 3:16-21; Revelations 19-22)

No comments:

Post a Comment