Wednesday, August 15, 2012

HABAKKUK: God Handles Things His Own Way - 2 of 2!

I have seen wicked and ruthless people flourishing like a tree in its native soil. But when I looked again, they were gone! ... Look at those who are honest and good, for a wonderful future awaits those who love peace. But the rebellious will be destroyed; they have no future. (Psalm 37:35-38*, psalm of David)

Life Application
Just like during Habakkuk time, we are experiencing the same things today:
- “Violence is everywhere!” I cry, but you [God] do not come to save. (Habakkuk 1:2)
- Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence. I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight. (Habakkuk 1:3)
- The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts. The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted. (Habakkuk 1:4)
- Then [the wicked] will worship their [possessions] and burn incense in front of them. “These [possessions] are the gods who have made us rich!” they will claim. (Habakkuk 1:16)
- “Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked. (Habakkuk 2:4)
- Wealth is treacherous, and the arrogant are never at rest. They open their mouths as wide as the grave, and like death, they are never satisfied. (Habakkuk 2:5)

- You’ve become rich by extortion, but how much longer can this go on?’ (Habakkuk 2:6)
- You committed murder throughout the countryside and filled the towns with violence. (Habakkuk 2:8)
- “What sorrow awaits you who build big houses with money gained dishonestly! You believe your wealth will buy security,... (Habakkuk 2:9)
- “What sorrow awaits you who build cities with money gained through murder and corruption! (Habakkuk 2:12)
- “What good is an idol carved by man, or a cast image that deceives you? How foolish to trust in your own creation— a god that can’t even talk! (Habakkuk 2:18)

And just as then, God's reply is the same today:
- This vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed. (Habakkuk 2:3)
- “But soon their captives will taunt them. They will mock them, saying, ‘What sorrow awaits you thieves! Now you will get what you deserve! You’ve become rich by extortion, but how much longer can this go on?’ Suddenly, your debtors will take action. They will turn on you and take all you have, while you stand trembling and helpless. (Habakkuk 2:6-7)
- But by the murders you committed, you have shamed your name and forfeited your lives. (Habakkuk 2:10)
- Has not the Lord of Heaven’s Armies promised that the wealth of nations will turn to ashes? They work so hard, but all in vain! (Habakkuk 2:13)
- What sorrow awaits you who say to wooden idols, ‘Wake up and save us!’ To speechless stone images you say, ‘Rise up and teach us!’ Can an idol tell you what to do? They may be overlaid with gold and silver, but they are lifeless inside. But the Lord is in his holy Temple. Let all the earth be silent before him.” (Habakkuk 2:19-20)

In this life, it may often appear that the wicked people are prospering, while the rest of us who aren't perfect but trying to do the right thing aren't receiving what we feel we deserve: I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone. For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for! They scoff and speak only evil; in their pride they seek to crush others. They boast against the very heavens, and their words strut throughout the earth. And so the people are dismayed and confused, drinking in all their words. “What does God know?” they ask. “Does the Most High even know what’s happening?” Look at these wicked people— enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply. Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain. If I had really spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people. So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper.But what a difficult task it is!.(Psalm 73:2-16) 

These questions and doubts are natural, but just as the psalmist Asaph, we must not stop with the questions, but go to God for the answer:  Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors. When you arise, O Lord, you will laugh at their silly ideas as a person laughs at dreams in the morning.  Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant— I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever. Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you. But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do. (Psalm 73:17-28)
*New Living Translation


No comments:

Post a Comment