Wednesday, March 19, 2014

ACTS: The Wise of This World and the Disputers of This Age are Fools Without God; King Agrippa said, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian!”

“Indeed, I myself thought I must do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. (Acts 26:9)

As Paul had done many times previously, he is giving his personal testimony, this time before King Agrippa, his sister Bernice, the governor Festus and the Roman court in Caesarea. "This I also did in Jerusalem, and many of the saints I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. And I punished them often in every synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly enraged against them, I persecuted them even to foreign cities. [Acts 7:54-8:3] (Acts 26:10-11)

Remember Paul, that according to the strictest sect of Jewish religion Saul lived a Pharisee. (Acts 26:5)  And the Pharisees believed in resurrection—and angel or spirit. (Acts 23:6-8) They were zealous for the law (Acts 21:20); and they were zealous toward God. (Acts 22:3) Paul wrote to the church in Philippi regarding himself that concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (Philippians 3:5-6) The Pharisees and the Jews were zealous towards God and His Word, and they thought they were doing God's will when they were persecuting the Church and trying to stop the spread of the gospel of Christ Jesus.

But after Paul's conversion, he saw the light. “While thus occupied, as I journeyed to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, at midday, O king, along the road I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining around me and those who journeyed with me. And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ [Acts 9:1-9] (Acts 26:11-18)

What Paul saw was what he would later write the church in Rome. Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:1-4) They refused to believe what God said in the scriptures about Christ when He came, and they refused to believe what He said about Himself.  That's why He called them out; “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot [dot of i] or one tittle [cross of t] will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. ..For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20)

Paul continued, “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. [Acts 9:10-31] For these reasons the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me. Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.” (Acts 26:12-23) And that is the gospel message summarized!  Paul never changed the message, and we should speak it as plainly and boldly today!

Now as he thus made his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, “Paul, you are beside yourself! Much learning is driving you mad!” But he said, “I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak the words of truth and reason. For the king, before whom I also speak freely, knows these things; for I am convinced that none of these things escapes his attention, since this thing was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you do believe.”  Then Agrippa said to Paul, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian.” (Acts 26:24-28)  

How sad, almost persuade me to become a Christian! For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”[Isaiah 28:14Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. (I Corinthians 1:18-25)

These men of power and authority, full of worldly wisdom, but not wise enough to believe the Truth when they hear it.  God made salvation so simple, But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. For if by the one man’s [Adam] offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous. (Romans 5:15-19)

The only thing King Agrippa had to do was believe. “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” [Deuteronomy 30:14(that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” [Isaiah 28:16For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” [Joel 2:32] (Romans 10:8-12) All King Agrippa had to do, and all any of us has to do is believe in and confess Christ Jesus as our Savior and Lord.  But instead most will be like King Agrippa and say, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian.”

And Paul said, “I would to God that not only you, but also all who hear me today, might become both almost and altogether such as I am, except for these chains.” When he had said these things, the king stood up, as well as the governor and Bernice and those who sat with them; and when they had gone aside, they talked among themselves, saying, “This man is doing nothing deserving of death or chains.” Then Agrippa said to Festus, “This man might have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar.” (Acts 26:29-32)  Paul had said, "So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also." (Romans 1:15) The Lord confirmed to him, “Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome.” (Acts 23:11) And Festus declared it so, “You have appealed to Caesar? To Caesar you shall go!” (Acts 25:12)

The study will continue with Paul setting sail to Rome...

No comments:

Post a Comment