Monday, March 17, 2014

ACTS: Paul in Prison for Two Years, Without being Charged; " For if I am an offender, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them!"

And after some days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish, he sent for Paul and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. (Acts 24:24)

Paul had been falsely accused by the Jews of committing crimes against their religion and the Roman government.  He had been charged by the Jews before a Roman court in Jerusalem, then before the Sanhedrin of the Jewish leaders.  Once the Roman commander found out Paul was a Roman citizen, he was taken to Caesarea to be charged by the Jews before Felix. But when Felix heard these things, having more accurate knowledge of the Way, he adjourned the proceedings and said, “When Lysias the commander comes down, I will make a decision on your case.” So he commanded the centurion to keep Paul and to let him have liberty, and told him not to forbid any of his friends to provide for or visit him. (Acts 24:22-23)

More than likely, Felix  having more accurate knowledge of the Way was due to the fact that his wife Drusilla was Jewish.  But for whatever reason, he allowed Paul to be treated fairly while he was in prison, and even sent for Paul and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.  Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and answered, “Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call for you.” Meanwhile he also hoped that money would be given him by Paul, that he might release him. Therefore he sent for him more often and conversed with him. But after two years Porcius Festus succeeded Felix; and Felix, wanting to do the Jews a favor, left Paul bound. (Acts 24:25-27)

Two years in prison not charged officially with committing a crime!  How many of us would have given in and paid a bribe to Felix long before that?  Most of us would have, but not Paul.  He was not like most men. The faithful man has perished from the earth, and there is no one upright among men. They all lie in wait for blood; every man hunts his brother with a net. That they may successfully do evil with both hands— the prince asks for gifts, the judge seeks a bribe, and the great man utters his evil desire; so they scheme together. ... Therefore I will look to the LordI will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. (Micah 7:2-7) Let's make sure God is able to say that just like Paul, we too are faithful, who wait for the God of my salvation.

But the fact that Paul was in prison for two years isn't the sad part.  The sad part is that Felix heard him concerning the faith in Christ.  Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid, but he didn't have the fear that lead to repentance.  Everyone will not accept the Truth, even if they are convicted that it's true.  For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (I Peter 4:6)

Anyway, Felix was out and Festus was in.  Now when Festus had come to the province, after three days he went up from Caesarea to Jerusalem. Then the high priest and the chief men of the Jews informed him against Paul; and they petitioned him, asking a favor against him, that he would summon him to Jerusalem—while they lay in ambush along the road to kill him. But Festus answered that Paul should be kept at Caesarea, and that he himself was going there shortly. “Therefore,” he said, “let those who have authority among you go down with me and accuse this man, to see if there is any fault in him.” (Acts 25:1-5)

And when he had remained among them more than ten days, he went down to Caesarea. And the next day, sitting on the judgment seat, he commanded Paul to be brought. When he had come, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood about and laid many serious complaints against Paul, which they could not prove, while he answered for himself, “Neither against the law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all.” (Acts 25:6-8)

Two years later, same false accusations that couldn't be proven.  But for some reason, these Roman leaders were always trying to do the Jews a favor.  Felix did and that's why he left Paul in prison, and now Festus was doing the same thing. But Festus, wanting to do the Jews a favor, answered Paul and said, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and there be judged before me concerning these things?” So Paul said, “I stand at Caesar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you very well know. For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.” Then Festus, when he had conferred with the council, answered, “You have appealed to Caesar? To Caesar you shall go!” (Acts 25:9-12)

Well, it wasn't the way Paul had originally hoped, but he was closer to having his desire fulfilled to go to Rome.  But one important thing to learn from Paul's experience is we don't have to defend ourselves against those who falsely accuse us or lie about us or refuse to hear the gospel of Christ Jesus; if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. Do not say, “I will do to him just as he has done to me; I will render to the man according to his work. (Proverbs 24:29) Do not say, “I will recompense evil”; wait for the Lord, and He will save you. (Proverbs 20:22) 

Even though Paul was in prison, he was being treated well and he was still alive. God, You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. (Psalm 139:5)  I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. ... The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them. (Psalm 34:4-7) We can put our entire hope, faith and trust in God, and have the assurance that He will deliver us safely on the other side of going through. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:3-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment