Friday, November 22, 2013

I CORINTHIANS: Leading Others to Christ Jesus; " I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to lead some to salvation!"

How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!  If I were doing this on my own initiative, I would deserve payment. But I have no choice, for God has given me this sacred trustWhat then is my pay? It is the opportunity to preach the Good News without charging anyone. That’s why I never demand my rights when I preach the Good News. (I Corinthians 9:16-18 NLT)

In the previous lesson, Paul explained to the church in Corinth that they were not to listen to anyone who questioned his authority as an apostle, For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. (I Corinthians 9:2) And as a leader in the church, he and all leaders, If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? (I Corinthians 9:11-12)  But even though they as leaders had that right, Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. (I Corinthians 9:12) He concluded by saying, Yet I have never used any of these rights. And I am not writing this to suggest that I want to start now. In fact, I would rather die than lose my right to boast about preaching without charge. Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News! (I Corinthians 9:15-16 NLT)

Let this be a warning to all leaders and all people under another's teaching.  Leaders, make sure we are called by God to teach the word; and those of us under another's teaching, make sure that person's teaching lines up with the Word of God.  If we are Christians, we are filled with God's Holy Spirit, and He has given us the spirit of discernment.  Learn, but study at the same time, and God will reveal to us if the teaching we are receiving is His ordained Word or not.  As for the leaders, Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. And their message will spread like cancer. ... Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” (I Timothy 2:14-19)

Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings. (I Corinthians 9:19-23 NLT)

We who profess to be Christians have to take evangelism seriously, and seek out opportunities to lead others to Christ.  I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.  We know we can't "save" anyone, but we can lead them to salvation, saving faith in Christ Jesus.  But in order to do that, we have to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.  Each of us can evangelize in some way to someone.  Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. (I Timothy 4:16) “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother." (Matthew 18:15) In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives. (I Peter 3:1-2 NLT)

These are just some examples of different ways we can evangelize and lead others to Christ Jesus.  We find common ground with everyone, but not with the intention of leaving them where they are, but always with the hope of leading them to something better.  The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who wins souls is wise. (Proverbs 11:30)  Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. (I Corinthians 9:24-27 NLT)

Finally, another important lesson we all can benefit from.  We have to be totally committed to God and spreading His Word, leading others to Christ Jesus.  We do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step.  But in order to do what God has called us to do, we have to discipline our body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.  We Christians should be the most disciplined in our lifestyles and behaviors, because “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:13-16)

We don't want to  preach to others, then we ourselves might be disqualified. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. (Philippians 2:14-16) Blessed is the man who endures...; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (James 1:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment