Tuesday, April 16, 2013

THE GOSPEL: Good Shepherd, Wise Sheep!

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. (John 10:1-2)

Many of us aren't very familiar about shepherds and sheep.  Sheep are gregarious, meaning they desire to stay together for protection.  "Because of their instinct to stay close together sheep will move toward another sheep or a perceived friend. Often times a friend can be a person, particularly if the person feeds the sheep. By using this instinct, shepherds have controlled sheep movement for centuries. In this case the sheep will follow other sheep that are actually moving to see a friend (the shepherd who feeds them)." (read An Introduction to Sheep Behavior) To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” (John 10:3-5)

"Contrary to what you may have heard or even expressed yourself, sheep are not stupid." (read An Introduction to Sheep Behavior) Sheep know their survival is dependent upon them staying together in a pack of large numbers and following their friend, the shepherd where he leads them. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. (Psalm 23:1-3) Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them. (John 10:6) The world thinks Christians are stupid for believing in God and Christ Jesus, whom we can't see, based on what we read in the Books of the Bible.  But even though we can't see Him with our natural eyes, we see the evidence of His existence throughout creation. (Romans 1:19-20) And each of us who are truly saved, who are Christians have had an experience that confirmed our faith in Christ Jesus was not in vain.  We have heard and know his voice; He has proven himself to be the good shepherd!

Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. (John 10:7-14)

God prophesied through the prophets about  the hireling that flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.  And the Lord said to me, “Next, take for yourself the implements of a foolish shepherd.   For indeed I will raise up a shepherd in the land who will not care for those who are cut off, nor seek the young, nor heal those that are broken, nor feed those that still stand. But he will eat the flesh of the fat and tear their hooves in pieces. “Woe to the worthless shepherd, Who leaves the flock! A sword shall be against his arm And against his right eye; His arm shall completely wither, And his right eye shall be totally blinded.” (Zechariah 11:15-17) Who is this hireling? False teachers. If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, ...suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself. (I Timothy 6:3-5) The problem with staying under false teaching is when the wolf comes, we haven't been fed the Word of God and taken care of properly; so when he flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep, and supposed that godliness was a means of gain, we will be scattered, killed and destroyed, hopefully not literally, but definitely spiritually.

“Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who steal My words every one from his neighbor. Behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who use their tongues and say, ‘He says.’ Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the Lord, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the Lord. (Jeremiah 23:30-32) But Jesus is the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. Jesus came that we may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. The Lord is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him. (Nahum 1:7) ...the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” (II Timothy 2:19) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment