Wednesday, April 17, 2013

THE GOSPEL: Good Shepherd Gives His Life for the Sheep!

As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:15-16)

Remember, Jesus has been in the temple in Galilee, disputing back and forth with the Pharisees and Jews.  They wanted to stone Him earlier for what they perceived as Him speaking blasphemy. (John 8:48-59) Now He's talking about other sheep I have which are not of this fold.  He's confirming what God spoke through the prophets, For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.” The Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, says, “Yet I will gather to him others besides those who are gathered to him.” (Isaiah 56:7-8)

Contrary to popular belief, God did not choose the children of Israel because they were "special".  Moses even warned them of this fact, “Do not think in your heart, after the Lord your God has cast them out before you, saying, ‘Because of my righteousness the Lord has brought me in to possess this land’; ... It is not because of your righteousness or the uprightness of your heart that you go in to possess their land, but ... that He may fulfill the word which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Therefore understand that the Lord your God is not giving you this good land to possess because of your righteousness, for you are a stiff-necked people. (Deuteronomy 9:4-6) God keeps His promises, and He made a promise to Abraham that,  In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.” (Genesis 22:18) 

God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truthFor there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,... (I Timothy 2:3-5) Salvation is for ALL people, no matter who we are or where we are. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the [non-Jew]. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:16-17)

“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”  (John 10:17-18) Jesus is making it clear yet again that in order for ALL men to be saved and have a restored relationship with God the Father, a sacrifice must be made, and God sent Him for that purpose; For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. (John 6:38) He's making sure these Pharisees and Jewish leaders know that they aren't doing anything to Him, but rather that He is doing what God sent Him to do; Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple [His body], and in three days I will raise it up.” (John 2:19)

Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayingsAnd many of them said, “He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?” Others said, “These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?” (John 10:19-21) No! A demon can't.  Only the Son of God, Christ Jesus, The Good Shepherd can! Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved,... (Acts 16:31) The Lord opens the eyes of the blind; The Lord raises those who are bowed down; The Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the strangers; He relieves the fatherless and widow; But the way of the wicked He turns upside down. (Psalm 146:8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment