Wednesday, February 11, 2015

EXODUS: The Lord God Instructs Moses Regarding the Final Sacrifice to be Offered, Two Lambs; “Now this is what you shall offer on the altar: two lambs of the first year, day by day continually."

“Now this is what you shall offer on the altar: two lambs of the first year, day by day continually. (Exodus 29:38) 

In the previous lesson, the Lord God gave Moses the instructions regarding the sin offering, burnt offering, wave offering, heave offering, all of which were peace offerings and consecration offerings. In order to make these offerings, the priests would have to sacrifice one young bull and two rams without blemish, and unleavened bread, unleavened cakes mixed with oil, and unleavened wafers anointed with oil (you shall make them of wheat flour). (Exodus 29:1-2) When and how often and in what manner these offerings were to be done were very specific.

Now, the Lord God would give instructions for one additional offering that was to be performed, yet another foreshadowing of what Christ Jesus would do for us when He came in the flesh. "One lamb you shall offer in the morning, and the other lamb you shall offer at twilight. With the one lamb shall be one-tenth of an ephah of flour mixed with one-fourth of a hin of pressed oil, and one-fourth of a hin of wine as a drink offering. And the other lamb you shall offer at twilight; and you shall offer with it the grain offering and the drink offering, as in the morning, for a sweet aroma, an offering made by fire to the Lord. (Exodus 29:39-41)

"This shall be a continual burnt offering throughout your generations at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the Lord, where I will meet you to speak with you. And there I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by My glory. (Exodus 29:41-43)

"So I will consecrate the tabernacle of meeting and the altar. I will also consecrate both Aaron and his sons to minister to Me as priests. I will dwell among the children of Israel and will be their God. And they shall know that I am the Lord their God, who brought them up out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them. I am the Lord their God." (Exodus 29:44-46)

Two lambs, one offered in the morning and one offered in the evening, no more than one year old, to be done every day, and the glory of the Lord would meet with Moses and the children of Israel at the tabernacle. This symbolized having fellowship with God at all times. As for me, I will call upon God, and the Lord shall save me. Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice. (Psalm 55:16-17) 

However, Christ Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the lamb offering, to save us, knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things,... from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. (I Peter 1:18-21)

Not only would the Lord meet with the children of Israel, but He would dwell among them, and be the Lord their God. Just as He did that for the children of Israel, He does that for every single one of us today who put our faith in Christ Jesus as our Savior and Lord. Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:15-17) 

"...Because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. ... If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him." (John 14:19-21, 23)

What an awesome promise to all of us who believe!  The Lord God manifested Himself to the children of Israel in a very real and tangible way; and He continues to do that today for all of us who believe, by filling us with His Holy Spirit, all because of the final sacrifice of The Lamb. As John the Baptist said, when he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment