Tuesday, October 14, 2014

GENESIS: The Judge of All the Earth will do Right; "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave, I will go down now and see ."

And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere (before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah) like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar. Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. And they separated from each other. Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the cities of the plain and pitched his tent even as far as Sodom. But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord. (Genesis 13:10-13)

We studied in a previous lesson that when Lot and his nephew's possession became too great for them to continue to stay together, Abraham instructed Lot, “Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren. 9 Is not the whole land before you? Please separate from me. If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or, if you go to the right, then I will go to the left.” (Genesis 13:8-9) Lot chose to live right outside of Sodom because of how the land looked, it was well watered everywhere like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar.

Then the men rose from there and looked toward Sodom, and Abraham went with them to send them on the way. And the Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing, since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.” And the Lord said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave, I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know.” (Genesis 18:16-21)

Just because something looks good doesn't mean it is good, and the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord. Lot would later regret the choice he made to live near there, and the Lord and two of His angels were sent by God to deliver righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)... (II Peter 2:7-8) But Abraham didn't know that it was in the Lord's plan to deliver Lot, so he does something that we all need to learn to do; he asked the Lord to spare the righteous from among the wicked.

Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the Lord. And Abraham came near and said, “Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there were fifty righteous within the city; would You also destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous that were in it? Far be it from You to do such a thing as this, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be as the wicked; far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?” So the Lord said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.” (Genesis 18:22-26)

Oftentimes we'll hear people say not to question God or ask God repeatedly for something.  Abraham proves that to be a false teaching, because not only does he question the Lord, but he would ask Him over and over again for the same thing. Then Abraham answered and said, “Indeed now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord: Suppose there were five less than the fifty righteous; would You destroy all of the city for lack of five?” So He said, “If I find there forty-five, I will not destroy it.” And he spoke to Him yet again and said, “Suppose there should be forty found there?” So He said, “I will not do it for the sake of forty.” (Genesis 18:27-29)

Then he said, “Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Suppose thirty should be found there?” So He said, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.” And he said, “Indeed now, I have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord: Suppose twenty should be found there?” So He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of twenty.” Then he said, “Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak but once more: Suppose ten should be found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of ten.” (Genesis 18:30-32)

Christ Jesus once taught the disciples about being persistent in our prayers.  He said, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’? I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs. So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." (Luke 11:5-9) 

The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (James 5:16) Abraham basically begged the Lord to spare Sodom for the sake of a few righteous people there, namely his nephew Lot and his family.  He didn't know what the outcome would be yet, but he knew that the Lord was the Judge of all the earth, and that He would do right. So the Lord went His way as soon as He had finished speaking with Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place. (Genesis 18:33) Now the two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground. (Genesis 19:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment