Tuesday, February 11, 2014

ROMANS: The Battle Within Us; "For to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find!"

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” [Exodus 20:17; Deuteronomy 5:21] (Romans 7:7)  

But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. (Romans 7:8-12)

As we studied previously, since we're all born into sin, sin comes naturally.  From the time Adam was in the garden of Eden, The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (Genesis 2:9) The dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, "You were in Eden, the garden of God;" (Ezekiel 28:13) And his goal from the beginning was to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. Once he deceived Eve and then Adam, Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil." (Genesis 3:22) Therefore, just as through one man [Adam] sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned. (Romans 5:12)

Everyone, since Adam, is born with a sin nature; but from the time of Adam to Moses, for almost 1,500 years, God did not give the law.  He gave many commandments that Noah, Abraham, Joseph, and others followed; but He did not put the law in writing until Moses.  What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions,... (Galatians 3:19) Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. (Romans 7:13)

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. (Romans 7:15-17)  All of us fight this spiritual vs. carnal battle. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. (Galatians 5:17)

No parent ever has to tell a child they are doing something wrong. By nature, a child will run and hide or try to hide something and then naturally lie that they didn't do it. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. (Romans 7:18-20)  On our own, none of us are able to choose to do good all the time.  We all give in to sin, regardless of what kind.  "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.” (Mark 7:21-23; Matthew 15:19-20)

We all know where sin comes from - Satan; we all know why we all have the sin problem - Adam; and we all know that we all are sinners -  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23) I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord(Romans 7:13-25)

Finally, we can get past our problem if we accept the solution - the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. (I John 1:7)  It is impossible for us to live perfect lives, because even those of us who are saved are still in the flesh like those who are not saved, and I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells. But through faith in Christ Jesus, He makes us righteous and justified before God.  How and why?  Because of His love, grace and mercy!  God's grace does for us what we don't deserve - sending His Son to die for our sins; and God's mercy gives to us what we don't deserve - filling us with His Holy Spirit to help us overcome our sinful nature. That's agape, unconditional love!  Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! (II Corinthians 9:15) 

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. (I John 2:1-2) ...how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. (Hebrews 9:14-15) AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment