Thursday, December 5, 2013

I CORINTHIANS: "God is Love!"; and Love Produces Actions, not just Feelings!

And yet I show you a more excellent way. (I Corinthians 12:31) 

In the previous lesson, Paul spoke about all the different spiritual gifts, ministries and activities we who are Christians receive from God's Holy Spirit.  But we aren't to glory in our gifts or become proud and boastful, because ...the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. (I Corinthians 12:11) ...God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. (I Corinthians 12:18) God has blessed us with certain gifts according to His will, as He pleased, and not for our personal use or because we deserved or earned it. 

Of all the spiritual gifts, ministries and activities we can have, there's only one thing that we need. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels [Mark 16:17-18], but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge [Matthew 13:11-12], and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains [Matthew 21:20-22], but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor [Matthew 6:1-4; Luke 18:18-23], and though I give my body to be burned [John 15:11-13], but have not love, it profits me nothing. (I Corinthians 13:1-3)

All of the above things seem quite awesome - speak with tongues, gift of prophecy, understand all mysteries and all knowledge, faith to remove mountains, give all to feed the poor, give body to be burned; but even unbelievers can do or appear to do some of these things.  Jesus even taught that, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’" (Matthew 7:21-23)

So what's the difference between a Christian having these gifts and a non-Christian who appears to have the same gifts?  Love!  Remember the two greatest commandments:  Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-39) 

If we have the love of God in us, then we will demonstrate that love towards others.  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. (I Corinthians 13:4-8)  Love is action!  Love is how we treat each other, not just how we feel about each other.  Too ofter the word "love" is used and it shouldn't be, especially when the words lust or desire better describe what a person is feeling or demonstrating.  Love is far more excellent than any of those selfish and self-seeking emotions.

And love is far more excellent than even any of the spiritual gifts. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. (I Corinthians 13:9-12)

Everything we see, everything we know, everything we experience is temporary.  For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (II Corinthians 4:18) The ONLY thing that lasts forever is Love!  ...God is love. (I John 4:8) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. (I John 4:9)

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. (I John 4:10-11) God gave everything for us!  The least we can do is love Him with all our heart, with all our soul, and with all our mind; and  love our neighbor as ourself  And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (I Corinthians 13:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment