Wednesday, October 16, 2013

ACTS: The Word of God says, "Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division!"

After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them. (Acts 18:1-3)

Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks. When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah. But when they opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” (Acts 18:4-6)

Paul tried and tried to persuade the Jews, but even more to testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah.  Finally he got to the point where he quit trying, and he "wiped his hands clean of them", which was symbolized when he shook out his clothes in protest.  He also said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it." This saying comes from when God spoke to the prophet Ezekiel and said, “So you, son of man: I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear a word from My mouth and warn them for Me. When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you shall surely die!’ and you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. Nevertheless if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul." (Ezekiel 33:7-9)

When God tells us to do something, however He tells us, once we are convicted of what He wants us to do, we have to do it!  If we don't do what He tells us to do, we will suffer the consequences.  There is always forgiveness for our disobedience, but with disobedience comes consequences that are inevitable.  Best to be obedient and receive the good consequence, you have delivered your soul, than to be disobedient and receive the bad consequence, his blood I will require at your hand. 

Paul did what the Holy Spirit convicted him to do, but the Jews didn't want to hear the Truth. We all have to learn when it's time to let go and move on.  Paul would say in a future time, "I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, who are Israelites,..." (Romans 9:1-4) 

Sometimes the people closest to us, family especially are the ones who we receive the most resistance from.  Christ taught that He, the Word of God would bring division. “I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather divisionFor from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three. Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.” (Luke 15:49-53)

We have to decide if pleasing and getting along with people we know or are related to is more important than doing what God has called us to do.  Paul finally came to the realization that he couldn't persuade his countrymen according to the flesh.  From that point forward, he accepted the calling Christ placed on his life, that "...he is a chosen vessel of Mine [Christ] to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” (Acts 9:15-16)  From then Paul resolved that from now on he would go to the Gentiles; but he would still try to persuade the Jews in other places as he continued his missionary journey.

Then Paul left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God. Crispus, the synagogue leader, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul believed and were baptized. One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: “Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city.” So Paul stayed in Corinth for a year and a half, teaching them the word of God. (Acts 18:7-11)  Obey God, and receive the good consequence, you have delivered your soul!

While Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews of Corinth made a united attack on Paul and brought him to the place of judgment. “This man,” they charged, “is persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law.” Just as Paul was about to speak, Gallio said to them, “If you Jews were making a complaint about some misdemeanor or serious crime, it would be reasonable for me to listen to you. But since it involves questions about words and names and your own law—settle the matter yourselves. I will not be a judge of such things.” So he drove them off. Then the crowd there turned on Sosthenes the synagogue leader and beat him in front of the proconsul; and Gallio showed no concern whatever. (Acts 18:12-17)

My goodness, the Jews of Corinth were just as ruthless as the Jews in Jerusalem were towards Christ.  But God commanded Paul, “Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city.”   God keeps his promises!  And when the Jews couldn't get the proconsul to punish Paul, they turned on the synagogue leader. (read "Gallio Achaia" & "Crispus-Sosthenes")  However, they did not harm Paul, just as God had promised.

So Paul still remained a good while. Then he took leave of the brethren and sailed for Syria, and Priscilla and Aquila were with him. He had his hair cut off at Cenchrea, for he had taken a vow. And he came to Ephesus, and left them there; but he himself entered the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews. When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, but took leave of them, saying, “I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing.” And he sailed from Ephesus. And when he had landed at Caesarea, and gone up and greeted the church, he went down to Antioch. (Acts 18:18-22)  During this time, Paul would write his letters to the church in Thessalonica...

No comments:

Post a Comment