Monday, September 30, 2013

ACTS: No Room for Prejudice in God's Church; All Accepted in Christ Jesus!

Now the apostles and brethren who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. And when Peter came up to Jerusalem, those of the circumcision contended with him, saying, “You went in to uncircumcised men and ate with them!” (Acts 11:1-3)

In the previous study, Peter explained a very important Truth. Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partialityBut in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by HimThe word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ—He is Lord of all— (Acts 10:34-36;see ACTS: Jesus Christ is the Savior of All People, the Jews and "Cornelius", the Gentiles) Sadly, the Jews, even some of the apostles and disciples still didn't understand that.  Remember, when Peter initially arrived at Cornelius house, he said, You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for." (Acts 10:28-29)

But God! But Peter explained it to them in order from the beginning, saying: “I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object descending like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came to me. When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ But I said, ‘Not so, Lord! For nothing common or unclean has at any time entered my mouth.’ But the voice answered me again from heaven, ‘What God has cleansed you must not call common.’ Now this was done three times, and all were drawn up again into heaven.  (Acts 11:4-10; see ACTS: Jesus Christ is the Savior of All People, the Jews and "Cornelius", the Gentiles)

"At that very moment, three men stood before the house where I was, having been sent to me from Caesarea. Then the Spirit told me to go with them, doubting nothing. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered the man’s house.  And he told us how he had seen an angel standing in his house, who said to him, ‘Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon whose surname is Peter, who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved.’ And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. (Acts 11:11-15; see ACTS: Jesus Christ is the Savior of All People, the Jews and "Cornelius", the Gentiles)

"Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?” When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.” (Acts 11:16-18)  Many things Christ Jesus taught, especially the parables didn't always make since at the time; but as we continue studying the book of Acts, a lot of those lessons and parables become more clear.

Jesus once taught a parable about worker's who where called to work in a vineyard at different times throughout the day.  At the end of the day, the landowner paid each of them the same wage.  The landowner represented God.  The worker's who worked all day were upset that the worker's who came later received the same pay. These worker's represented the Jews.  The "landowner" explained himself this way: Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?’ (Matthew 20:14-15; see THE GOSPEL: Salvation is Available to All)

There is no room for prejudice in God's church, in His body of believers. Jesus Christ, He is Lord of all! God shows no partiality, and neither should we.  But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him, and they should be accepted by us also.  There is no one denomination, race of people, or culture that is superior over another in the eye of God, ...since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all. (Colossians 3:9-11) AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment